Monday, May 18, 2009

back from the writing cave


About four weeks ago I asked Professor Paton when he would like a draft of my thesis. With his characteristic good humor, he said, "Yesterday....Or tomorrow". I faked confidence and said he'd hear from me right away. I think at that point I had about 3 pages written and several holes in the research.

All in all, the project on Whirlwind Wheelchair International was really interesting. I turned in 110 pages - which was probably overkill. But, I was really swept up in the interesting issues the company is facing. There are also thought provoking issues related to manufacturing, globalization and religious non profits (which I know a little about after 14 years working) Whirlwind is a really cool company. I'd love to work for a social business like this someday. They are entrepreneurial and focused on serving unmet needs in the developing world. This chair in the picture is their best product - it's all terrain, affordable, and uses bicycle parts so that it is repairable.